Friday, 17 December 2010

Finally an update

I haven't updated in here for a while, but I'm doing great progress with the short film.
The rigging of the guy is done:



























Also I've modeled, uv'ed, rigged and partially textured all props in the short.
The other character appearing is almost rigged as well.

Here is a mix of different stuff compiled:

Friday, 3 September 2010

Rigging has startet!

I've moved on from modeling and has called the major stuff final.
I still need the boat, fishing pole and a bunch of other props, but as far as character, it should be done - pretty much.

Here is a screen on the character.
Most of the body is done.
I need to set up proxy models for fast viewport feedback, as well as the posibility to hide/unhide different parts of the body.
I still need to set up a few other things, such as automatic foot roll and finger bending.

I haven't even touched the face yet.




















Cheers!

Friday, 6 August 2010

More character stuff

Alright, I know I wrote I settled on the last design, but here we go again :D
A brand new design and THIS one is a keeper.





















Still room for a bit of tweaking.

Thursday, 24 June 2010

More character stuff

I've continiued on the main character, and this is the model in his final stages in maya:

brought the head into mudbox, because I wanted to try something out with displacements, where I used the Flatten brush to flatten patches thus creating a more old and used look, almost like it is carved in stone.


I also did a very quick diffuse map, just to give it a bit for color.
I will probably redo the sculpt, it was more a concept sculpt and done in about an hour.


Anyways here is the look and I think I kinda like it :) :

Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Modeling main character

Alright, so modeling of the main character has finally started for real.

I had some ideas I played around with and ended up with a concept sculpt in mudbox which worked alright.
I'm now trying to model it in maya and get at nice edgeflow.

It still misses a lot of stuff, but the main thing is down alright. I'm probably gonna make some changes in the flow, particularly the flow from below the lower lip should go around the nose instead of straight to the eye.

After the basic model works, I will need to go in and tighten up some of the edges, because right now it will smooth too soft and too even across the mesh, which I don't like.

Anyway, here is a turn.

Cheers

Saturday, 29 May 2010

Animatic: done!

Yipeee!
I've decided to call it quit in terms of animatic.
It is now time for the actual work.

I feel I have a solid foundation to build upon, and it will give me great confidence during animation, that I know exactly what needs to be done and that I'm not gonna do any "waste" animation.

Another thing is I'm gonna put up the first 1:20 for public display.
So here it is, the public part of my animatic.

Deep short film, Public animatic from Christoffer Andersen on Vimeo.

Thursday, 27 May 2010

Title card and RnD

Alright, time for an update i recon.

This might seem like an inactive blog but the project itself is very active.
Storyboarding is pretty much finished and I've slowly started my cg work.

I've had a lot of trouble finding the visual style, but I think I now have a pretty good idea about what I want to do.
I'm thinking of putting the first part of the film out there for the public to follow, and make it a open project, at least for the first minute or so.
I've been doing quite a bit of research and testing on how to create underwater look.
One of the more successfull one can be seen here:



Underwater RnD from Christoffer Andersen on Vimeo.

I've tried to set up a pretty "realistic" environment for this test.
It is a box filled with fog, that I cast light into. The light is broken up by a plane with a ocean texture as transparency.
The glow of the sphere is actually not a "faking" glow of blured light, but a more physical correct glow, of attenuating light, lighting up the surrounding fog.
With this approach, which might not be the most render-friendly, I should be able to pretty easily add any element I want and it should behave nicely :)

Oh! and check out the new titlecard:













Cheers